X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sisal rope

is it ok for the birdie to chew on this rope. its not the fat kind, its thinner. i used it to make her toys. id hate to stop her from playing.

Sisal is fine. I would make sure it's natural though and not oiled. I use sisal all the time on my bird's toys. I keep it at shorter lengths so they can't get it wrapped around them or put them in a dangerous situation.

Rocky loves to sit and chew on it and he and Murray love to preen with it.

Comment

Sisal is all I use in my birds toys! Often if they come with cotton rope, I cut it off, and replace it with Sisal.
      My birds have these really big boings that I got from Bird Paradise, that they preen and over time, they get really big a bushy - ceratainly don't look like what they did when I got them!

Comment

i got it at home depot. it said natural but it did smell.

Comment

Originally posted by bxtzd3 View Post
          i got it at home depot. it said natural but it did smell.
          If it smelled, I would not use it. What does it smell like? Oil?

Comment

I would not use it. It probably has oil in it. I would find a bird toy parts store and get the sisal rope from there

Comment

great. i hope it wont hurt her. she really didnt play much.

Comment

I wanted to take a moment and tell you and your family how cool you guys are.

You just keep trying, and keeping at it! Making toys, working on diet, step ups, etc.

You are doing a good job!

Comment

In a pinch I have bought a few 50 foot rolls of 1/4 inch sisal at Walmart before. It may be the same stuff as Home Depot. All sisal has a smell to it to me, even the untreated.

I always unroll and make a big loop out of my sisal, tie the ends to keep it from unraveling, and run it through the dishwasher a couple of times...the first time with a little detergent, the second time just plain hot water. It can also be run through the washer also...and then hung out to air dry. I guess if the weather's bad outside it could even be dried in the dryer if necessary.

Guess that's one of those things that I need to snap a few pictures of the process and then post a short DIY article so it's easily understandable.

Comment

Home Depot, Lowes all of thier sisal is oiled. Since you have some here is what you do. First take it away from the bird, toss it. With what you have left, boil it. Get a big soup pot, and boil it. Toss the nasty water, and boil again. Then after the second boil toss in the washing machine with just bleach, let it run through a cycle. Then let it hang to dry. Now it's safe, and ready for birdie use.

Mike

Comment

sorry havnt got back sooner, i have an email in to the company about there rope. as per the site it has a smell due to natural oils. and it said it might evan get mildew if left in a damp place. i looked around, not the bird store, and none that i found has no oil on it. the one from home depot has a green label. i most likley wont use it but i had to ask the manufacture about the smell

Comment

so here is the final word. as stated here before the sisal with the green label from home depot is not good. lehigh group sent me an email stating there is mineral oil on it. now we no from the company.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully you did not buy a ton of it.

Have you found a place to get unoiled sisal yet?

Comment

oiled rope

Unless the rope packaging says "non-oiled" or "untreated" it is either treated or oiled. You can not buy untreated or non-oiled sisal rope in any of the retail stores. It usually comes from distributors only and usually in bulk rolls of 250 or 500 feet.

Comment

Working...
                            X